The Handbuilt Perspective

Mosaic Cycles: a handcrafted bicycle manufacturer located in Boulder, CO. This blog represents our outlook on all things bicycle- perspective articles, community events, product reviews, and the many other aspects of this community.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Good Morning, Single Speed!

6:00am alarm, snooze...

6:08am alarm, snooze...
ugh...
I could get up right now and go for a sunrise ride, or I could keep sleeping.
I'm going riding.

I manage to get my things together without waking my family up and I make it out the door by 6:30.
I'm off!  Spinning at a much faster cadence than I'm used to and going almost nowhere....

This morning is my first single speed ride!  I am riding Mosaic's Mountain Steel Single Speed 29er, and loving the feel of steel.  I haven't even made it onto the dirt yet and this bike already has me riding wheelies off of curbs and whipping around corners.  I should be focusing on the task at hand, testing myself and this bike, but I can't help playing on it.  I did just wake up, didn't I?  As I ride west on the Spring Creek Trail heading to the Pineridge Natural Area I enjoy the simplicity of the single speed.  I may not be rolling as fast as I normally do but it's actually relaxing because I'm limited to a nice warm up cadence.  But I am really looking forward to that dirt...

The paved trails end and I find myself climbing a gently ascending trail.  I am very familiar with these trails, they are very near my house and I ride them several times a week when the weather is nice.  I know every climb, every rock and root, and each line that gets me through the technical sections.  I know that the first climb is coming.  It is short but steep with loose rocks, climbing over the first hogback of the foothills.  On my XC bike I normally downshift several times and start to hammer just before the climb starts to generate momentum.

Now I don't need to shift.  I can focus on the terrain and hammering the climb.  I pour on the juice at the same point that I normally would and with shockingly little effort I am at the top!  I couldn't help but laugh out loud as I reached the top of that first insignificant, but yet significant on this morning, climb.  This is going to be a great morning.

I roll down the back side of the hogback and start rolling South to make a longer connection to the Maxwell Natural Area to the North.  As I'm rolling along I can't help but notice how quiet everything is, the morning is peaceful.  The only noises I hear are the sound of the wind blowing through the tall smooth brome grass lining the trail and the sound of my tires, rolling.  As I look around in the new morning light I see two bucks bounding from a field off to my left, jumping over a 4 foot high fence, and then across the trail 20 yards in front of me.  Awesome.  I love moments like these.  I may have only been a quarter-mile from civilization but I feel connected with nature here, now.

Now I start another gradual climb along the foothill and roll in and out of Ponderosa pines.  The trail in this section is fast and flowy with a number of rocky and rooty sections that always keep my on my toes.  The trail sees enough use that the obstacles are always well carved out and can present a perfect opportunity for the unintended endo if you're not paying attention.  The bike handles these sections with the greatest of ease.  I was really surprised with how minimal of an effort was needed to direct the bike.  It seems like I can just look to where I want to go and my body naturally manages the bike to correct for any obstacles in my way.  Do I really have to go to work after this?  A couple more climbs get ticked off the list and I find myself in the Maxwell Natural Area.

This is where I will really test myself and the bike.  The A-trail climbs up behind the Colorado State University football stadium, it's steep and technical.  It can be tough to clean this entire climb on any given day, even if you've done it many times before.  I go forward with an open mind and determination.  There is something magical happening with every pedal stroke on the climb.  I'm hooking up, every stroke transfers 100% of the power to the wheels.  There's no suspension sag sucking up energy, there's no energy loss from climbing in a granny gear with the chain all crooked, just pure transfer of energy.  It's kind of an addicting feeling.

I like climbing, call me crazy, and this feeling is awesome!  Just as amazing, the Mosaic steel frame, White carbon fiber fork, and Maxxis Ardent 2.4 tires are doing an incredible job of soaking up the bumps in the trail.  I don't clean the whole climb this morning, and I'm ok with that.  The fact that I'm doing this on a single speed is a serious milestone for me!  As I make it to the top of the trail I stop to reflect on what just happened and take in the views of Horsetooth Reservoir, Horsetooth Mountain Park, Lory State Park, and Fort Collins.  Now I am realizing that I have to ride that rocky technical trail back down.  On a rigid bike...

Once again, the Mosaic bike really shined.  Whipping around corners and through lines that I take on my full suspension bike, I couldn't tell during my descent that I was on a rigid.  Ok, that's not entirely true... I did get jarred pretty good one time and thought that I gave myself a hernia, but aside from that it was great!  And I didn't have a hernia.  Coming down the final descent on the trail there is a little booter that I always like to hit.  This morning was no exception and launching this amazing bike off of it felt like a great way to end the ride.

I start spinning back to my house and wishing that I could have kept going, but I need to get back to the real world.  It was a refreshing start to the day.  Challenging.  Exciting.  Awesome.

Watch for more stories and adventures in the next couple of weeks with the Mosaic Mountain Steel Single Speed 29er!

Ride on!

Chris Herron
Local Bike Enthusiast and Grasslands Research Extraordinaire

No comments:

Post a Comment