The Handbuilt Perspective

Mosaic Cycles: a handcrafted bicycle manufacturer located in Boulder, CO. This blog represents our outlook on all things bicycle- perspective articles, community events, product reviews, and the many other aspects of this community.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Single Track At Sunrise

As I roll around in bed this morning I think my alarm must be about ready to go off, it has to be close to 5:30.  I check my phone- 3:44... I'm in and out of sleep until my alarm finally goes off.  Last night I decided to ride at Lory State Park.  There is a weekly race series held here at the end of summer where single speed riders consistently destroy me.  Now it's my turn to roll a single speed along these trails and see how I do.  After wrangling my gear, I'm on the road heading to the trails.

I pull into the Timber trail head parking lot and get myself together.  My Subaru tells me that it is almost 30 degrees this morning but it feels chilly.  I get myself together and realize that I left my cold weather booties at home... hopefully all of the climbing will keep me warm.  I get my lights on the bike and my helmet, zip the jacket, and start up the trail.  The Timber trail starts climbing immediately and my legs are not yet warmed up.  Luckily I'm riding Mosaic's Single Speed 29er again, and it is handling the trail beautifully, again.  I am amazed at how well it climbs.

This climb is not as technical as what I rode the other morning but it is long with a number of tricky switchbacks and lots of little pull up moves.  It's definitely a solid start to the morning.  Much to my surprise, the long consistent grade was no problem.  I distinctly remember rolling up these trails on my Titus Racer X last season and feeling pretty rugged by the top.  I also remember having some issues with the switchbacks and holding my line.

The Mosaic leaves me feeling great at the top, despite not being warmed up, and I make it through all but one switchback without popping off.  The bike holds its line perfectly, all I have to do was point it and pedal.  Am I really riding this at 6:15am?  I get to the top of the Timber climb and look back toward Fort Collins.  It is still quite dark with a glint of sun on the horizon.  I roll along the Timber trail on flowing single track, some still covered with snow and ice, and random rocky sections until I come upon the Kimmons trail descent.

I'm very familiar with this descent but this morning it's dark and I'm on a rigid bike.  I let the single speed roll down the trail at its own pace.  The tires roll over everything in the way and the spot on geometry of the Mosaic frame let me rail down some serious switchbacks.  This is the first time I've ridden down this trail and really been able to rip through the corners.  I am able to sit back, push into the outside pedal, and whip the rear end around.

I get to the bottom of Kimmons trail and stop to take a pic of the trail sign and the sunrise over Fort Collins.  I start rolling along the West Valley trail.  This trail is a consistent but gradual climb towards the South and a lot of fun!  There's no real technical sections here, just nice flowing single track with a water bar here and there to pop off of.  As I climb up the trail at about the midway point I start to notice that there is more and more light and a perfect scene of single track, landscape, and half-moon.    I near the top of the climb and the end of the West Valley trail, near the Arthur's Rock trail.  I decide to stop here too for a quick picture. 

Now the descent back down the East Valley trail can begin! The East valley trail is similar to the West Valley trail except it goes back down and is a fun descent.  Again I let the Mosaic roll at its own pace and flow right along with it.  The bike is soo smooth through frozen bumpy trail and soft sand alike.

Now my toes are completely numb from the cold and I'm starting to get close to my car.  I start a brief climb back my car and decide to rail back to it as hard as I can, just like when we're out here racing and we're climbing up this last section as if our lives depended on it.  It is a great end to the ride and left me huffing and puffing, wishing there was more (even though I couldn't feel my toes).

It was a great ride this morning but I have to say that I am a little sad that the only wildlife I saw was a couple of birds that I stirred out of a shrub, but maybe that's ok considering that there are mountain lions and black bears residing in this park.

I only have to wait out one full day until I get to ride again but as I'm putting the Mosaic back on my roof rack I can't help but think that one day is one too many...

Ride on!

Chris Herron

No comments:

Post a Comment